So, I have learned (mainly through experience unfortunately) that my humor is not always understood and/or appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I know the moments in which seriousness and professionalism are required, I just don't always exercise that ability. Like for instance, in restaurants, I tend to be a little inappropriate, especially if I am hungry.
This weekend I went out to eat at Olive Garden with my mom. I ordered the endless soup and salad like I always do. The waiter came back after my first bowl and asked me if I wanted another. I looked at him with a straight face and said "Duh." The next time he came back, he asked me again and I said "Hit me." After a long, very awkward blank stare, I rephrased my somehow confusing response into a, "Yes please." He also tried to take my soup away from me before I was done. That is the single worst crime you could commit against me. Let's just say he learned his lesson. Now, he will always think twice before lurching for a customer's unfinished dish.
It's not like I don't understand proper etiquette in restaurants, but I am just always striving to lighten the mood. There is no need for things to be serious all the time.
The problem with this kind of self-sacrificing, often inappropriate humor is that it becomes my fallback. Awkward situations, tense moments, or even just boredom- I always resort to something that will change the mood and will always insert something embarrassing about myself into the equation. It is a guaranteed laugh.
So, is there a remedy? Who knows. But its way too much fun to correct.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment